我们直接接入主题,你知道“养家糊口”用英语怎么说?大家一起和小航来学习下吧。
1.养家糊口 bring home the bacon
(1) bacon “咸猪肉,熏猪肉,培根”
(2) bring home the bacon字面意思“把咸猪肉带回家”,
表示“赚钱养家,养家糊口”
英语解释为 to earn money for your family to live on。
例
Just in a meeting. You know,
working hard, bringing home the bacon.
在开会,努力工作,养家糊口。
With me bringing home the bacon,
Mitchell doesn't have to rush into anything.
有我挣钱养家,米奇尔不急着找工作。《摩登家庭》
2.save one's bacon “帮助某人逃脱困境”
英语解释为to help someone to escape from an extremely,
difficult or dangerous situation。
也可以说save one's skin/neck
例
Thanks for lending me 1000 dollars.
You really saved my bacon.
谢谢你借给我1000元,
你真的帮我脱离了困境。
I just wanted to save my own bacon.
我只是想自保。
3. 维持生计 make ends meet
make ends meet “使收支仅能相抵,勉强维持生计”
英语解释为to have only just enough money to buy the things you need。
例
I'm tired of having to take temp jobs just to make ends meet.
我受够了为了维持生计不得不去打零工。
Were there other things I'd rather do?
Yes. But I had to make ends meet.
我想不想干别的事情?
想啊。但我得维持生计。